Friday, April 18, 2008

Shakori Hills

Guillermo, getting messy at the pottery wheel. 
Maya, on her way to paint
Batman Guillermo

I'm exhausted. 

I took Guillermo and Maya to the Shakori Hills music festival today and we had a great time. Guillermo and Maya played in and painted a cardboard castle, walked on a stone snake, made rock statues, hiked through the woods and campsites, watched acrobats, listened to story time and songs, ate ice cream, played with clay, listened to music, and just ran around. Oh, and Guillermo got his face painted. A lion on his cheek first and then a Batman mask around his eyes later. And Maya danced, but not Guillermo. 

They were champs. We went with a friend and her two kids and we probably arrived around 10:30 a.m. We got home at 6 p.m. We took breaks, of course, and Maya had a few wimpy moments, especially when she realized she couldn't drink milk out of her Elmo cup like she normally does before nap time, but she got through it. There was a wonderful kids tent for performances and another one with a large arts and crafts table, and couches and chairs for relaxing. Just outside the tent were bubbles, balls, and jump ropes. Later in the day, kids were decorating hula hoops. I'm sure there is a more proper term that, but I don't know it. 

The festival is four days long and it started Thursday. Many people camp there. Guillermo was intrigued so maybe we'll finally take him camping this summer. Maybe. Anyway, most of the morning was pretty quiet, as in not a lot of music. But, it started to kick up this afternoon and the crowd was getting pretty big when we were leaving. Arrested Development was playing tonight, at 10 p.m. (now, I guess) and my friend and I talked about returning to check it out, but now that it's 10 p.m., I'm glad I'm at home. 

The bad part of the day was the ticks. Ugh. I either brushed off or pulled off with tweezers seven ticks today. Two on Maya and me each and three on Guillermo. Unfortunately, I found Maya's at home. One on her leg and one in her ear.  If you're keeping track, that's 10 ticks so far this spring. I don't think we'll be going to the woods anytime soon. 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your N&O Spot. :) See you there or here....

Di said...

You are such a good mom! I left before my kids woke up and played golf all day. I'm such a bad mom! But I put in lots of good mom time back when they were little. I hope they remember that there was a time that I wasn't totally selfish!

Anonymous said...

You have to stop with the tick stories. You are making NC sound less desirable for retirement.
Sounds like the kids and you had a great day. You alwaqys do such fun things with the kids.
Love,
Mom