Thursday, May 14, 2009

I'm leaving

Poor Maya. 

Yesterday she desperately wanted Guillermo to play tag but he wasn't into it. As he played Legos in the car, she ran up to him, touched his arm and shouted: "Tag. You're it." 
"I'm not playing, Maya," he moaned. 
She did it again and met the same response. 
"Maya," I warned. "He doesn't want to play."
Again she ran up to him. Guillermo started to get angry so as she made another attempt I caught her in my arms before she could get him. 
Poor girl started to cry and then found herself getting angry.
"I'm leaving," she declared and walked down the driveway, headed for the cul-de-sac.
"I'm sad you're leaving," I said as she neared the road.
She turned to look at me and then took a few steps into the street.
"I'll be lonely," I said and smiled. She gave a little smile back but then kept walking. 
I called her name again and this time I blew her a kiss. 
And even though she was angry enough with me to run away, she stopped, caught my kiss and then blew one right back to me before she walked a little further and reached her final destination: the island in the middle of our cul-de-sac.
She played for a bit, stomped around for a bit, and a few minutes later came home. 

No comments: