Saturday, May 1, 2010

10 minus 10


The conversations between my kids crack me up these days. I have to laugh or I'll shout at them for acting so ridiculous and fighting all the time. Today's conversation was typical of what I hear often. I tuned in only around the time Maya started yelling at Guillermo.

"Guillermo, quit singing that song," Maya shouted.
"I like it. Fish, fish, fish with your fish, fish fish," he sang. "Maya doesn't like this song. Maya Maya Maya."

"GUILLERMO!"

I interject. "Maya, please don't yell in the car. If you don't like the song, please ask Guillermo not to sing it and tell him it hurts your feelings."

"Guillermo, please don't sing that song. I don't like it," Maya says.
Guillermo ignores her.
"He won't listen to me!" she shouts.
"Then ignore him," I say.

"Guillermo, if you don't stop, I'm not going to listen to you the rest of the day," Maya told him.
That got his attention.
"Oh yeah, well, if you don't listen, I won't tell you what 10 - 10 equals," he answers.

Maya has a quick change of heart.

"Ok Guillermo, I'll listen. What is 10 - 10?" she asks in her nicest voice.
"I'm not telling you until the end of the day," he answers, and I cringe. He goes on: "You can guess. Minus means take away. Ten take away 10."
"OK, I'll guess. Is it 9?" she asks.
And back and forth they go, as nice as can be until she gets the answer right.

And now, they are sitting nicely together on the couch playing a game. We'll be back in the car in a few minutes and the fighting will start up right away.

No comments: