Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Lulu the Music maker

Today was Maya's last music class. She's been in it on and off since last fall, when I signed her up at the last minute to give her something special to do when Guillermo was at school. She loved it right away and she love her teacher, Lulu, just as much.  

On most days, the class would alternate between sitting down and playing with instruments during one song and then dancing around the room with instruments during the next. Later, Lulu started reading a story to the class and even added a small parachute that the kids would play with during the class. The end of class always ended with the parents blowing bubbles while the kids jumped around, popping them. At first, Maya would dance next to me during the dance part of the class, but eventually she started dancing next to Lulu, saddling up next to her, trying to mimic her moves as they danced in a circle around the room. She always tried to make eye contact with Lulu, as if seeking approval. Lulu always obliged. 

Today, was a really fun class. Maya seemed happier than normal, or maybe I was. We played with scarves during one song, waving them in the air as we danced and twirled in circles. At the end of the song, Maya draped the red scarf she was holding over her face. She was beaming and laughing. She was beautiful. I tried to take a mental snapshot of her shinning eyes and big smile. I thought briefly about the veil she may wear one day if she gets married, but my mind wouldn't let me imagine her on that day. For that, I'm grateful because today she was perfect. 

During another song, we laid down on our backs on a blanket and listened to Lulu's voice on her relaxation CD. Maya was concentrating so hard on the deep breaths and mouthing the words to the songs. I couldn't resist. I reached over and squeezed her and she hugged me right back. 

No comments: