Tuesday, March 9, 2010

When I grow up...



Maya really loves being 3. She likes it so much, in fact, that the other day she declared she wanted to skip her birthday because she didn't want to get any "high numbers." She wasn't keen on me skipping mine along with her because she really likes birthday cake and didn't want to miss out on her fair share.

But the other day she started talking about growing up and getting to the high numbers, as she calls them. And, tonight she followed up when she saw our teen-age neighbor. When Maya asked how I old I thought our neighbor was, I guessed 14 or 15.

"Fourteen? That's a really big number," Maya said.
"When you are 14, do you get to ride in the front of the car?" she asked.
"Yes, you get to ride in the front seat of the car," I answered.
"Someone told me that when you get 14 and taller than that you get to go to a really big gym!" she beamed.
Yes, I said, you can do that.
She thought for a bit.
"And you get to be in charge of your family. When Guillermo is 14, he gets to be in charge of the family, just like you and papa," she declared.
"Well, when Guillermo is an adult and has his own family, he can be in charge of his family and when you are an adult you can be in charge of your own family," I answered.

She thought a bit more, smiled big and then rocked an imaginary baby in her arms. And just as abruptly she dropped that imaginary baby and got back to work on painting her masterpiece on the driveway.

No comments: