Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Santa and Tears

Guillermo has been hinting to me for a few days that he isn't sure Santa Claus is real. "Is Santa Claus real, mom?" "You would tell me the truth, right?"
I pretend I don't hear him.
He and one of his friends say they are going to stay up all night to see if it's Santa or the parents who set out gifts.
Yesterday, he told me one of his friends said his mom gives him presents, not Santa. I followed quickly with "of course we give you presents. I still need to wrap them before I put them under the tree."

Well, today, he decided he wanted to go see Santa at the mall so I told him I would take him tonight.
"I'm not going to tell him what I want because he's not the real Santa," he said matter-of-factly.
"We don't have to go," I said.
"I want to," he answered.
But Maya interjected.
"I don't want to see Santa."
"Why not?"
"I just don't."
"Ok," I said, hoping she would change her mind.

We were the only ones in line when we arrived. Guillermo skipped right over to Santa and sat on his lap. He seemed pretty happy. Maya clung to me. (She's never been scared of Santa before).

The Santa was really nice and friendly. He kept trying to get Maya to talk to him or come sit with him but she wasn't having it. I even walked her over to him but when I tried to get her to stand next to Guillermo, she started crying. I felt awful. She was really upset and it took awhile for her to calm down.

But, when she did, she helped make Guillermo smile a perfect smile for the photograph and then as we were leaving, she even gave Santa a high-five. Maybe next year.

No comments: