Friday, September 26, 2008

Fleagle the Beagle

Guillermo was feeling lonely tonight when I put him to bed. Really, I think he was just stalling, but I didn't have time to deal with it because I didn't want to miss the debate. So, I rounded up all of his stuffed animals (he calls them his buddies) and sat them next to his pillow. There's sock monkey, Bevo, shark, a poison dart frog (called froggy), and a bear. You'd think that would be enough, but Guillermo was wimpy so I told him about the stuffed animals I used to sleep with when I was a kid. There was Bear and Fleagle the Beagle and I told Guillermo how they would cheer me up when I was feeling sad and lonely. Bear is still at my parent's house, but it turns out, Fleagle the Beagle, given to me by my friend Bryan for my eighth birthday, traveled with me to college, to St. Louis and Kansas City, to Louisiana and Texas and even to Chapel Hill. I found him under my bed tonight and gave him to Guillermo. My son's face lit up and after a few minutes of playing, he placed Fleagle the Beagle on top of his pile of stuffed animals and fell asleep. I barely missed a minute of the debate. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nat,
You loved Fleagle so much. He has been with you since you were five. Fleagle experienced your highs and lows and he never failed to listen. Better yet he never judged. I hope Guillermo finds as much comfort from him as you did.
Guess I'll have to give up Bear to Maya.
Mom

Anonymous said...

That's so cute. You are very kind, by the way. My pooh bear isn't getting anywhere near my children until they are at least 25, or whatever age kids stop destroying things. :)