Sunday, September 14, 2008

Star Wars

Guillermo is obsessed with Star Wars. Really obsessed. His obsession probably started a few months ago when his best friend in the whole wide world started feeding him information about The Clone Wars. Since then, we play Star Wars nonstop, fighting the bad guys that hang out between our house and our neighbor's. Our ship is the garden between the two homes.  At first, Guillermo liked to be Luke, but now he likes to be Boba Fett most of the time, though the other day he was Jedi No. 2. Maya is always Princess Leia (though Guillermo calls her Lei-yo). These days, I'm usually R2D2. Guillermo says he likes R2D2 because he has a lot of weapons. Will is always Yoda. In fact, Guillermo rarely calls Will papa anymore. He calls him Yoda. "Hey Yoda, are you ready for dinner?" 

We were in Atlanta this weekend, visiting family. I bought Guillermo a Clone Wars coloring book for the car. Guillermo loved it and it kept him occupied for a good part of the trip (the rest of which, we kept him occupied with videos). I think he colored nearly ever picture as well. You could tell he was pleased because he wouldn't stop talking. "Yoda, what colors are the good guys' lightsabers?" "Yoda, what planet do the good guys live on?" "Yoda, why are there more bad guys than good guys?" "Mom, can I have another crayon, please?" On and on and on it went. 

Guillermo so badly wants to watch Star Wars. I think he is too young. We've convinced him that Will didn't see his first Star Wars movie until he was 8 years old, which may be the truth, Will doesn't really remember, and so Guillermo needs to wait until he is 8 years old, too (four years away). But if Will had his way, he'd let him watch right now. So, that leads me to my question. When is the appropriate age to show your kids Star Wars? And, the next question, in which order do you show your kids the Star Wars movies. In chronological order, 1-6, though I'm not sure where the Clone Wars fits in, or 4-6 and then 1-3? We've had a few friends weigh in on this? What do you think? As you can see, the viewing is expected to be a big production at our house. 

6 comments:

jeninphx said...

that is too funny: Will as Yoda. must run in the family, 'cause ever so often i speak "yoda"-like. my freshmen get a kick out of it, as does my father, and robert, and anyone else who picks up on me rearranging sentence syntax!!

i am trying to remember when Will and I watched the original Star wars?? it cam e out in '77 and i remember at a REAL early age will had star wars bed sheets, so i am thinking he was maybe around 5 or 6? my mother would have been the one to ask!! but i think we/he was quite young.

as far as the order, no question: have to start with the originals!! then introduce the newer ones. besides the upgrades in technology and special effects, i always thought the older ones were far more interesting and carried more the moral undertone of lucas' films (mythology, coming of age, friendship...everything joseph campbell points to in his _power of myth_ book/documentary).

whenever you do decide, i am sure it will be quite a spectacle!

love to all!!
tia

Anonymous said...

Hope Guillermo still wants to be a scientist.Bet Maya or Princess Leia is one tough cookie. You went to see Star Wars when you were 7 or 8 because I took you to see it. What is it rated or is there a rating since it is so old? How about watching the movie without G and decide if you think it is appropriate. Will Darth Vadar scare him? I agree with Jen. If you are going to let him watch the movies, start from the beginning.

Brad said...

Brad seconds Will's vote, though I'm sure you know how I feel about it! Let me know what happens.

Di said...

I think the Star Wars trilogy (the first) would be fine for Guillermo to see. I actually didn't see the latter three, so can't comment.

I remember being 21 and taking my 6 year old nephew to see Return of the Jedi.

The special effects...that were then so cutting edge...are not scary plus seeing it on DVD gives you the option of pausing, fast forwarding or whatever.

Anonymous said...

I think we saw Return of the Jedi when I was 5 or 6, which would mean Erin was 4 or 5. I agree, the originals 4-6 first, then the newer ones. Empire might be pretty scary to a 4 year old...it's so dark through most of the movie, and it doesn't end with everyone happy.

mq said...

You could always start him out on some of the tamer star wars spinoffs like Ewoks: The Battle for Endor. I know they put out some audio stories, too. My brothers and I had The Planet of the Hoojibs cassette/book set. We also had the Empire Strikes Back LP which was an audio-only retelling of the movie. It might have been a little tamer than the movie itself.

If you really want to scar him for life, you'll show him the Star Wars Holiday Special.