Friday, October 24, 2008

Pacing, waiting

Tonight, in another attempt to stall the bedtime process, Guillermo declared that the crickets chirping outside his window were too noisy. He insisted the ceiling fan in his room wouldn't drown out the noise, as we attempted that at least one other time. What he really wanted was my air purifier, which is pretty good about blocking noise, but I refused to give it up again. 

Instead, I suggested a radio and his eyes lit up at the idea. I told him to wait for me in his room and I'd be back with MY clock radio. 

"Sometimes when humans wait, they walk back and forth, like this, right?" Guillermo asked, as he paced in his room.
"Sure," I said. 
"And, they put their hands like this," he said, clasping them behind his back. 
"That's right," I said. "You wait here, OK?" 
"Yes, they do this where they are waiting," he said as he paced in his room. 

So, I went back in my room, set the clock radio on an appropriate radio station (WXYC, the UNC station, of course) and then hauled it off to his room. He must have gotten tired from all the pacing because he was sitting in a chair. Soft music was playing on the radio when I plugged it in near him.  
"Night time music," he said, smiling. 
I tucked him in under his yellow unicorn blanket followed by his Spider Man blanket just as the DJ came on the radio to announce the songs that had just finished playing.  
"That's OK," he said. "I like the talking, I like the news when I can't see it," Guillermo said. 

1 comment:

Di said...

I am like Guillermo...very sensitive to noise. One of the best things I've done is downloaded a piece by Parasme called "Ambient White Noise for Sleep." It's brilliant. Put it on my iPod, put my headphones in and I can work in peace or take a nap in the middle of the day. You probably wouldn't even have to do the headphones...just put it on a docking station or something.