Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Power Outage

We had a family bed night last night, and I loved it. 

The power on our street went out last night, shortly after I put Maya down to sleep in Guillermo's room (where she had been sleeping while Will's father and sister were visiting).

Guillermo and I were in my room and sort of froze for a minute. I hate the dark. A bit scared of it, really, but I am the mom and I had to take charge (Will was out of town). I found the heavy-duty flashlight and warned Guillermo to be quiet so we didn't wake up Maya. Instead, we heard her crying "Too dark." The nightlight no longer worked. 

The lack of power at my house energized my kids. For the next 45 minutes, they were wired as we tried out flashlights and candles and camped out on my bed, reading stories and being silly. Neither of them would sleep in their own rooms because it was too dark so we slept in mine. Before we fell asleep, I flipped off off all the light switches so that when the power did come on, we wouldn't wake up, but I forget to check the switch in my room. About five minutes after we finally fell asleep,  the light in my room came on, along with the computer.  

"Do you guys want to go back to your rooms now?" I asked my sleepy kids. They said no, fought over the covers a little bit more and then we fell asleep. I'm actually a little glad Will was out of town. He would have kicked the kids out of our bed for sure. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds so comfy and cozy!

We have a family bed each night and it's nothing but kicking and pushing and feet in the face. :)