Friday, August 7, 2009

Chicken Nuggets


Maya and I went school shopping today. We bought the cutest backpack and matching lunch box and she is thrilled. And she is over the moon about going to preschool next month. She tells everyone she sees : "I go to preschool next month. Guillermo is going to kindergarten."

I'm pretty excited for them to go, too. I loved school and I hope they will, too. I'm eager for them to meet new friends and learn new things and explore on their own a little bit more. Of course, a part of me is sad. The past three years have been incredible for me and, hopefully, for them. And that is what I was thinking about today, while happily Maya ate a subway sandwich at the mall food court.

I started to get a little teary and I knew I shouldn't have said it, but I couldn't help myself.
"I'm going to miss you when you are at preschool," I said.
She smiled, at least I think she did.
I couldn't stop myself. Gratuitously, I asked: "Are you going to miss me?"
Her response: "I think I smell chicken nuggets."

I don't think she heard me, which is good. Or, if she did, I think she gave a fine answer.