Monday, August 3, 2009

Week with Grandpa and Ya Ya

Maya and Ya Ya

My parents came to take care of Guillermo and Maya last week while I recovered from surgery and I bet my kids wished I had surgery more often (or at least left them in the care of my parents more often).

My parents arrived a few days before my big day so we spent a day at Jordan Lake, where they helped calm Maya's fears of the ocean. Of course, we weren't at the ocean, but Maya thought we were and they persuaded her to put a foot in the water, and then walk in the water up to her knees and soon enough, she was in all the way to her belly and then we were helping her swim. Guillermo had a great time and he and Maya built an elaborate sand castle.

During the week, my parents made sure the kids were busy each day. On Monday, after Guillermo's swim lessons, they took the kids to the Lego Store and to Build-A-Bear, where Maya bought a bikini for her bear. The set is complete with a beach ball, googles, towel and flip flops. During the week, they also saw the movie "G-Force," and went swimming a lot. Guillermo is doing so well now. He jumps in and swims back to the ladder himself. He even swam underwater through my parents legs! I'm so glad a summer of lessons is paying off. Maya really loves swimming now and is more confident in the water. We'll start lessons for her this winter.

I have only a few pictures of that fun week. We took so many just the week prior at my parents' house that we barely picked up the camera last week. Now, I wish I had a few more.

2 comments:

Christy Jett said...

Aren't grandparents great?! Hope you are feeling better. I'm glad you could recover peacefully knowing your kids were happy.

Anonymous said...

We had a fun week too. While we never hope you have to have surgery ever again we would love to have another week to play with the kids. You are great parents who have raised wonderful kids. Of course, we are a little prejudice. Love to the kids and to you.
Mom