Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"When Can I be a boy?"

Very girly at the kids museum last weekend.

Two days in a row now, Maya has asked the same question.
"When will I be a boy?"
And she asks in the same place, the bathroom, as she is going potty. Today, we were in the bathroom at the pool.
"You won't become a boy, Maya," I say each time.
"But I want to be a boy," she whines.
I already know the answer but I ask why anyway.
"So I can do this," she says and circles her arm to her back. "So I can go potty like Guillermo and Papa."
"Boys can go potty standing up, but girls can't," I say and am met with a pout.
But today, I whispered to her: "You are so lucky you are a girl. Girls are as strong as boys and as smart as boys, but girls get to wear twirly dresses and boys don't," I say.
She didn't answer, but she must have heard me.
We finished up and I walked a little ahead of her to the door. When I turned around I saw her admiring the skirt on the bottom half of her bikini. And, she was grinning.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute story!!!! Love the outfit.
YaYa

Christy Jett said...

Good answer Mama! I will have to remember that one.

Karianna said...

My son wants to be a girl. He says it is no fair that girls "get all the pretty colors." So, we let him decorate his room in pink. Alas, his friends now say he's a "girl with a weenie." Yikes.

So... I think my son would gladly trade places with Maya. ;-)

Michelle said...

She's so sweet!