Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"I didn't have a wedding"




Awhile ago, Maya was admiring somebody's freshly painted fingernails. I don't think they were mine, but they could have been, and she casually asked if she could have hers painted too. I didn't have time and really didn't to start that habit so I told her finger nail polish was for older girls.
"For when you get married," she answered.
"Yes, for when you get married," I responded just a little bit uneasily but that was the end of that.

Today, I dropped Maya off at our friend's house so I could accompany Guillermo's class on a field trip. Maya's friend's fingers were painted a shade of cotton candy blue with sparkles. Maya admired them as I walked back to my car.

When I picked Maya up several hours later, her fingernails were a bright red, a not so pretty red, a somewhat inappropriate red, but she was proud. "Maya, your fingernails are pretty," I told her.

"I didn't have a wedding," she told me right away. "Pat just painted them. I didn't get married."

"I'm glad you didn't get married, but your nails look beautiful," I told her.

1 comment:

Christy Jett said...

I read this post before but didn't get a chance to comment.

I felt the same way with Emma and makeup. She is make-up crazed (I NEVER wear the stuff so not sure where she gets it from) but my sister-in-law got her a case of make-up last Christmas. I was not too thrilled but allowed her to use it. But we have many rules about use: only when mommy is home to help, only when we are playing dress up, cannot be worn outside the house. Thankfully it is almost all used up  It’s crazy how they start so young!! I love your blog and ready it religiously. Makes me feel like I really know you guys. HUGS