Saturday, February 26, 2011

Everybody Get Up!


Working on his James Brown poster.



The finished project. It's hard to tell, but there is a picture of James Brown from a Simpsons episode.

One of Guillermo's assignments this month was to make a poster about an African American who has changed the world, or who has changed the student's world. Guillermo wasn't quite sure who to pick so I threw out some names: Martin Luther King (who he knows about), John Coltrane (One of papa's favorite musicians), James Brown. I didn't have to go further than that. James Brown it is.

Guillermo falls asleep nearly every night listening to a James Brown cd Will made for him. For the project, Will and Guillermo listened to a bunch of James Brown songs and then lots of music that sampled James Brown, who is, as you will see on Guillermo's poster, is not just the "Godfather of Soul" or the "Hardest Working Man in Show Business" but also the "Most Sampled Musician in History." Guillermo's job on that task was to figure out what instrument was sampling James Brown. He then featured not only James Brown on his poster, but also pictures of records that sampled James Brown.

It was a perfect project for Will, and Guillermo.

3 comments:

holly said...

This totally made our night! Good job guys!

Anonymous said...

Good job on your poster! I can still see James Brown doing the splits while singing. Did you see him do that on the internet?

Vicki K. said...

I read your blog regularly and always enjoy it. You are a very good writer and a great Mom.

I had to comment on this one as James Brown is one of my favorites. Please tell Will his "old" 2nd mom is proud of him!

Also tell him Don was watching TV last night and I walked in and hear this..
"I fell on my keys....ow...ow...ow..."