Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Studs and Plates


Guillermo took the first of three Lego machine-building classes last night. I have not seen him so excited in a long time. Every time the teacher, who said the kids could call him coach, asked the class a question, Guillermo's arm shot up. Sometimes he had the right answer, a few times his answer was wrong and several times he had no clue, and said so. I haven't seen him in action at his regular school so I don't know if this is how he behaves there, but I sort of doubt it.

Maya and I had planned to leave the class so we could do some Valentine's Day shopping (for our special Valentine's) but right away Maya wanted to stay and Guillermo wanted us to as well so we settled in for the next 75 minutes.

The teacher taught the kids the names of many of the bricks and other Lego pieces and then asked them to build a simple machine following his instructions. They ended up building a lever and had to figure out where the spot for the fulcrum would be. His "assignment" was to build more levers before the next week. He went home and started right away. The best part: He asked me to help.

3 comments:

Kristan Shimpi said...

Where are these classes? Aidan would love to try them out I bet!

Kristan Shimpi said...

Where are these classes? I bet Aidan would love to check them out.

Anonymous said...

What a fun class. Right up Guillermo's alley. I used to make Lego levers with my fourth graders. Have fun at your next class, G.