Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Beach trip

Maya, on Easter morning.

Guillermo's first day on the beach. 

A shivering Maya and me on the beach.

He had so much fun. 

Sorry for all the pictures. I couldn't leave out Maya's Easter dress (Guillermo, by the way, wore sweat pants Easter morning) or pictures from our beach trip!

We finally saw the North Carolina coast and Guillermo fell in love instantly. Watching him was so much fun. He didn't notice that the temperature was in the 50s or that the water was ice cold. As soon as he saw the ocean, he ran straight across the beach and dipped his feet into the water. He ran around in circles and then sat right down in the wet sand and built a castle. He was filthy and having a great time. At least a few times on our vacation, Guillermo was down on all fours as the waves crashed into the shore, soaking him head to toe. He never complained that he was cold. He was having too much fun. 

Maya, on the other hand, didn't like the beach one bit when she first saw it. She didn't like the cold weather, she didn't like the sand seeping through her crocs, she didn't like the water, and she wanted only to be held. It took a bit, but eventually she put her feet down on the ground and gathered a few shells for Guillermo's castles. And, later, she was even digging in the sand with a shovel. By the end of the trip, I was convinced that when the weather is warmer and other kids are playing, she would enjoy a day at the beach.

We spent three days along the coast with my mother. Will, not one for the beach, or water, stayed home. Our first two days we stayed at our friend's parents' condo near Southport. On the third day we drove to Wilmington before driving home. It was a wonderful, quick road trip. Oh, and we even took the ferry to the aquarium. I've never been on a car ferry and my mother said she didn't know who was more excited, me or Guillermo.  

My mom left today. I hated dropping her off at the airport, but found solace at the Carter's outlet store. Nothing like shopping (even if it isn't for me) to cheer you up. I know that would make my mom proud. 



1 comment:

Julie said...

I love the pictures! Maya looks so beautiful in her dress! You can tell G loves the sand at the beach. I can imagine him running around making a giant mess! I am so glad you had a nice time with mom. Yes, finding solace in shopping will make mom proud! Love you!