Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Goats and Donkeys



I should have had my camera with me today (the pictures above are from last week). We went to story time at a bookstore in a little village near our home. Afterward we walked with some friends to see the cows and goats in a nearby field. 

Maya and Guillermo were so excited. The goats came right up to the fence and ate out of their hands. I really wasn't too happy about that, afraid my kids' fingers would get gnawed off by the hungry goat, but my friend said she'd never heard of that happening. (I was already nervous because hidden behind the wooden fence, on the animal side, was an electric fence. "Electricity can't go through the wood, right?" I asked. "No," my friend said, and I'm sure she thought I was crazy. Of course, she hadn't touched an electric fence when she was younger, like I had. She'd never felt that shaky sensation that didn't so much hurt but still stayed with you for a long time. So, I wasn't being crazy, right, just protective of my kids, right?)

So, I let go of my anxiety (a little) and let the kids go to town, feeding that hungry goat weeds and grass. When that one was full, another came to get an early lunch. Guillermo was having so much fun. Maya didn't do too much feeding. She just threw grass through the fence and yelled "goats." Later, a donkey came over to get in on the action. By then, there wasn't much tall grass near the fence. Most of the older kids would fetch the taller weeds a few feet away. Not Maya.  

"Goats don't like to eat rocks, Maya," I said as she threw one through the fence, near the goat. 
"Rocks," she said.
I warned again later.  
"No rocks, Maya."
Too late. It hit the donkey in the face. 
"Donkey, donkey," she said happily. 

No comments: