Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sign Language


Maya told me at the beginning of the school year that she wanted to learn sign language. She said it a few days after school started so I thought she might have learned a little at school. I told her I would get a book at the library so we could learn together, but I forgot each time I went to pick out new books, of course.

But, I remembered during Christmas shopping and for Christmas, in her box of books, she found a sign language book. She is loving it. We have learned baby, milk, eat, water, happy, sad, soccer, dance, basketball, baseball, cat, TV, refrigerator, mom, dad, brother and sister. Maybe more.

It was S week at her school this week and for show and share, she decided to share her knowledge of sign language. I was so proud of her. She brought her book to school so she could demonstrate the signs and her teachers could follow along or help teach the class. She was so proud, and the whole family is having fun learning a new language. It's especially fun this week (at least for me) because Will's grandmother is here so we are practicing words in three languages: English, Spanish and Sign.

No comments: