Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Maya's crush

Maybe she'll win him over with her T-Rex feet.

Maya with papa, one of her other favorite boys. 

Maya has a crush. Well, maybe it's not a crush since she is just 20 months, but she is fond of Guillermo's friend, Lazlo. 

Ask her who her friend is and she says "Lazlo."
She forgets about Lazlo's sister, who is closer in age to Maya and spends more time playing with Maya than Lazlo. And, she forgets about her friend Sophia, even though they see each other regularly and are the same age. No, she likes Lazlo, 4-year-old Lazlo. 

He is a great kid, funny, full of energy and very nice to Maya. Plus, he has a great name and she is working to master it. When she says it now, it sounds like "Lathlow." 
The other night, as I was cuddling with her while she drank her milk before bed, I asked her who she loves. I was expecting her to look up and smile at me. Instead, she sat up, took her sippy cup out of her mouth, and said "Lazlo." 
Whoaa. 
"Lazlo's your friend, isn't he," I said to Maya. But on the inside, I was screaming, "Lazlo? What about me?"

Yesterday, a friend was over and collected the jacket her son left at our house the other day. "Lazlo," Maya said, pointing to the blue coat. In fact, it wasn't Lazlo's coat, but it did look very similar. 
On the path to the park the other day, Maya stopped before we could see who was playing on the playscape. "Lazlo." Maya said, with a smile. The last time we were at the park, Lazlo was there. Unfortunately for Maya, he wasn't at the park on Monday. 
Lucky for him, today he was. She smiled and gave him a hug, then went about her business. 
I guess I shouldn't be too surprised with Maya's interest in Lazlo. A while ago, Guillermo told me that when he grows up he is going to be the daddy and Michelle, meaning Lazlo's mother, is going to be the mommy. There's something about that family .... 

1 comment:

jeninphx said...

uh-oh!! maya may be taking after her tia and lita: going after the HOT guys!! think juanes, alejandro fernandez, cheyenne, etc...
how fun to be young! i hope this doesn't affect my chances of hanging out with maya ;)
love you sis!!!