Thursday, February 21, 2008

New name

Maya and Guillermo, October 2006

I've already changed the name of my blog. I thought it better represented what I'll be talking about most, my kids. This is why I picked it:

When Maya was born we had lots of wonderful visits from our family. Everyone was incredibly helpful with my kids and with me. But, of course they couldn't stay forever and eventually it was just the four of us, and on weekdays from 8:30 a.m. until 6 p.m., it was just the three of us. My first week alone with my new baby and my quick-footed, loud-talking toddler son caused me to panic. "What am I supposed to do now? Was taking a year-long maternity leave really a good idea? Can I go back to work early... really early? Are there any other jobs out there I'd be good at?" I remember checking the Chapel Hill/Carrboro school district Web site to find out when Guillermo could go to kindergarten. He was two at the time and I cringed when I saw the date 2009. It seemed so far away.

I'm not sure how I managed to get through the first few days alone. My mind is foggy on that, and maybe that's a good thing. But eventually we settled into the routine of going to the park every morning Guillermo didn't have school. I'd push Maya in the stroller and he'd come armed with trucks for the sandbox. Usually, I'd have one stowed underneath the stroller, too. It's always best to have an extra truck or two to share with future friends. We'd play at the park, come home for lunch (or picnic, or eat in the car), then Guillermo would nap and we'd fill our afternoons with other activities. 

I have wonderful memories of those days. Hopefully my new blog name will  help remind me why I chose to stay home with my kids (even though it's a decision I constantly struggle with) and the fun times I've had (and will have) with my babies. It goes without saying that not every day is like a day at the park, but I've found that when things are getting rough at home, a large slide and monkey bars can cure Guillermo's grumpiness and a swing can bring a smile to Maya's face.

No comments: