Sunday, June 20, 2010

Ballerina, not Supergirl

Maya is trading in her superhero cape for ballet shoes when she grows up. During a conversation with Guillermo and Maya, I learned she no longer wants to be Super Girl when she is older. We were sitting at the kitchen table, talking about Maya's then-upcoming ballet lessons.

"Boys don't take ballet," Maya told Guillermo.
"Boys can and do take ballet, Maya," I interjected.
"Football players have to take ballet, right mommy?" Guillermo said.
"Why do you think football players have to take ballet?" I asked, trying to remember what book in which we may have read that.
"They have to take ballet to learn balance," he said.
"Oh, do you want to be a football player?" I asked.
"No, I want to be a ninja."
"Oh, I want to be a ballerina," Maya said dreamily.
"So, you finally realized that superheros are pretend," Guillermo asked her.
"Yes," Maya answered.
"Did you learn that when you turned 4?" he asked.
"No, I learned it before that," she answered matter-of-factly.

And then they moved on to something else.

No comments: