Thursday, June 25, 2009

Bob

Guillermo, practicing a back float.

After just a week and two days of swim lessons, Guillermo surprised me on Tuesday.
"Look what I can do," he said as I met him in the pool after his lessons.
"Bob," he said, plugged his nose with his fingers and dunked his head under water.
Yay! I was so happy, so relieved. He finally can do it! He can put his head underwater. After years of sporadic swim lessons, he finally had the nerve to put his head underwater.

He practiced all day Tuesday and then yesterday, he put his head under water and then pushed off the ground so he would sort of glide underwater a bit before coming up for air. He's so excited to show off his new move to his teacher today at lessons.

Maya, on the other hand, has developed a fear of the water and will barely go in by herself, even in the shallowest spot. She will go in if I hold her, but she clings to me pretty tightly. Yesterday afternoon she was a bit more adventurous and walked down the ramp but that was only because her friend Chelsea joined us at the pool and she isn't scared of the water. I think she may be tired of going to the pool and we do go every day for lessons at 10:30 a.m. We have one more week of lessons before vacation and then she'll get a break.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Go Guillermo! Maya will get there too, in her own time.