Sunday, June 21, 2009

"I like the beach. Not the Ocean."


Soon to be a surfer boy. 

We took a day trip to the beach yesterday. Guillermo loved it a year ago when we went with my mother and loved it just as much yesterday. He was adventurous and timid at the same time. For him, he was adventurous. He rushed right out to the shore and waited for the waves to roll in before racing back to the dry sand, over and over again. If he waded out further, he would hold onto Will or me, which I loved. We stood in the sand for quite awhile holding hands and waiting for the big waves to try to knock us down. (And I was so happy, living in the moment because I know next year, he'll likely move into deeper waters and not want my help.) Later, Will scooped Guillermo up and headed to deeper water where they played in the bigger boy waves. 

She looks happy now, but force her off that towel and look out ...

Last year, Maya didn't like the sand in her shoes and didn't want to go in the water. Yesterday, she didn't mind the sand, in fact, she loved it, but she hated the ocean, even more so it seemed than last year. It was partly my fault. Will dropped us off at the beach and went to park the car. I was setting our stuff up but Guillermo and Maya wanted to play so I told them they could stand at the edge of the water. Their feet weren't even covered with water at first but soon a wave came in and it caught Maya off guard because even though it was tiny, it knocked her down. The rest of the day was doomed. She wouldn't walk along the shore and if she was playing in the sand and a wave came close to her, she would cry. I felt awful for her. It was so hot (though there was a nice breeze) and she seemed pretty miserable a good part of the time. We built sand castles, played with a few other kids and took a long walk in search of friends we were hoping to meet up with so she did OK. But then she had to go to the bathroom and refused to go in the ocean so she and I walked and walked until we finally found one. Later, I asked her if she liked the beach. 
"I like the beach. Not the ocean." 
"I mean, I like the sand. Not the ocean," she clarified.  
But she said she would go back and I can't wait to take her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maya,
One day you will be a surfer girl. Let's try Lake Jordon when we come in August and then well tackle the bigger ocean waves. Can't wait to take both kids to the beach ( not the ocean) :) and we will make sure we are near a bathroom.
YaYa

Anonymous said...

Guillermo,
You are looking good in those surfer shorts. Want to go back to the beach with us in August. We can swim, spend the night, and swim at the ocean the next day. I bet we can outrun the waves, find pretty shells, and make a great sand castle. Can't wait to see you.
YaYa and Grandpa