Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A, B, C, CH

We were really good about speaking to Guillermo in Spanish when he was a baby. We would try to say everything twice, once in English and once in Spanish. Neither one of us are fluent, but we can hold our own and we did our best.  

With Maya, I tried at first, but it wasn't as easy because I was home with her all day, every day and it was hard enough trying to figure out what to do with my kids all day, keep Guillermo occupied and take care of a new baby. Adding translation to the mix just seemed like too much. So, Maya heard far less Spanish that Guillermo did as a baby. 

So, her response tonight when I tried to sing the ABC's, or the ACC's as she calls them, in Spanish shouldn't have surprised me. 
I did it first in English. "More," she said. I then sang in Spanish, adding the extra letters in the Spanish alphabet to the mix. She stopped me at "LL." "No," she said and went back to her milk. I tried again and got as far as "LL" before she stopped me. "No," she said. 
I started over and sang the English version. She shook her head yes, smiled, and finished her milk. 

We spent a wonderful evening at our friends' house. They made me dinner for my birthday and even had a chocolate cake. It was fabulous.

1 comment:

Di said...

The ACCs...she will be right at home here in the Triangle during basketball season!