Thursday, May 29, 2008

Doh, Donuts

I haven't written about my nearly 5-year-old niece, Lily, in awhile, and this was too good to pass up.

Yesterday, my sister was making her way into Lily's preschool room to pick her up at the end of the day when one of Lily's teachers saw Julie. 

"Lily had a really good day, today," the teacher said. You'd think Julie would be happy but as she points out, the teachers don't tell all the parents their kids had a good day because they don't have to. Their kids usually have good days. Lily, well, she's another story. She's a good girl, a nice girl, but full of fire. She can cause trouble, like the time when she should have been napping at school but instead ran around her classroom, waking up all of her classmates. 

So, Lily had a good day, the teacher said. But when Julie walked into the classroom, she found Lily in time out. She had been kicking her friends. My sister said she noticed that Lily had an expression on her face that seemed to indicate she knew she was in trouble but also thought something was sort of funny.

Turns out kicking wasn't the only thing Lily did to cause trouble. For a Father's Day project, the kids in the class each made pretend donuts and then glued real candy sprinkles on top of them that day. At some point, Lily managed to eat the sprinkles (and therefore the glue) off the donut she made. She didn't stop there, though. There are 18 kids in the class and Lily somehow ate the sprinkles (and more glue) off all of the donuts they made, too. 

How in the world a teacher couldn't have stopped her before she got through all 18 donuts is beyond me. I can just imagine Lily making her way down the donut line, taking a quick, but thorough, lick off of a donut, and then moving onto the next. And then I can see the smile sneak across her face when she finished. 

"We don't eat art projects," Julie told Lily later. "And you probably are going to get a stomach ache from all the glue you ate."

The next morning, Lily woke up early, complaining of a stomach ache. "I think it's because I ate glue," she said. Later that morning, she again complained and my sister suggested Lily's stomach hurt because she was hungry. "I think it's because I ate glue," Lily said, but scarfed down breakfast and then went to school.

A few hours later, my sister gets a call from her husband, who got a call from the school. Lily had thrown up at school and was on her way home.

It must have been the glue. 



3 comments:

Di said...

Oh...just wait. My Mom2Mom post this week is vomit-centered also!

MotherBunker said...

Hee. That's a good one. Look out! Donut glue might be a gateway paste. :)

MotherBunker said...

By the way, I was telling someone this story the other day (they had had a similar thing happen), and after I'd finished completely botching your telling of it (as I am wont to do), I said, "Oh well. It was funnier in person." Now why did I think I was there? I am a goof.