Thursday, May 8, 2008

Cookies, shoes and castles

There's not much Maya likes more than cookies. She runs to a cabinet where we keep them nearly every day to ask for one or just to see if they are still there. She shakes her head in satisfaction when she eats one. 

Today, I gave her a piece of a cookie on our way home from Whole Foods. I'm not sure if she ate it because she fell asleep pretty quickly in the car. When we arrived home, I tried to lay her down on the couch so she could continue her nap and I could have some free time. Instead, she woke up, looked around and said "Cookie. Cookie? Cookie?"

I was in trouble. The problem with her asking for her cookie was that while she slept in the car, I literally tore that cookie up. I didn't eat the cookie itself, but I broke it up into tiny pieces so I could eat the chocolate chips in it. I couldn't very well give her a bag of crumbs and expect her to be happy. I'd be pretty mad too if someone tried to pass that off as a cookie for me. 

Luckily, we had more cookies in the house. I gave her a Newman-O's. She studied the cookie for a bit as though she knew this wasn't the cookie she fell asleep thinking about, dreaming about, but couldn't resist and took a bite. "Ummm, good."

Later I took her shoe shopping for me. I'm looking for a pair of Yellow pumps, platforms, or even wedges for a wedding I'm going to in June. Maya was a dream. I pulled one shoe off the shelf and tried it on.
"Like? Like?" she asked immediately. "Yes, I like it," I answered.
"Walk, walk," she commanded. I walked. Too big, I determined. 
On to another pair. 
"Like? Like?" she asked. "Walk, walk," she commanded. 
After walking a bit, I returned to her command post where she bent down and felt my toe to make sure there was enough room. She needs a job at Nordstrom. She'd rock the house. Unfortunately, I left without shoes. Couldn't find the right color of yellow. 

I'll leave you with this thought:
Guillermo was in school today while Maya and I played. 
When he got in the car, he didn't say much about his day, but said this: "Castles to the sky, forever and after."
What does that mean?


3 comments:

persian_austinite said...

Natalie:

Guillermo's comment reminds me of a song entitled "Castles in the Sky" by Ian Van Dahl. It's electronic music with vocals. :)

Anonymous said...

Maya,
You are my kind of girl. I'd take you shopping any day. Your mama never liked to shop when she was little. Before long your favorite place to eat will be Nordstrom Cafe just like your cousin Lily.
Love, YaYa

MotherBunker said...

Wow, Maya is an excellent shopping buddy. Could you ask her to find me a comfortable pair of black sandals with a small-ish heel?

Hope you have a nice Mother's Day!