Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We Can!

What a night!

And, Guillermo and Maya were up for all of it, well nearly all of it.

When the networks called Ohio for Barack Obama, I scooped Maya up in my arms and twirled around the room in happiness. A little later, when it was official that Obama would become the next president of the United States, I picked her up again, cheering, spinning and jumping. She was beaming from ear to ear. I hope I always remember the smile on her face, her laughter in my ears from that night.

Of course, she had no idea why we were so happy. She knew Obama won, but she doesn't know what that means. And, neither does Guillermo, but we'll teach them, over time.


1 comment:

Di said...

How amazing that this is going to be one of their first memories of our democracy! And how amazing that they will later view MLK's I have a dream speech and know that it came true.