Thursday, November 13, 2008

Patience

I was exhausted tonight after a long week. Maya was not. As I was getting her ready for bed, she took her time drinking her milk, played with her toothbrush before brushing and tried to be silly as I was reading to her. 

I didn't lose my temper, but I warned her that she needed to settle down, and in a firm voice, I told her I was losing my patience. 

With a sweet smile on her face, she reached her arm out and grabbed at the air before bringing her hand back to me.  

"Here's your patience," she said playfully.

If she was a teen-ager, I imagine it would have taken all I had not to smack her. Since she's just 2, I managed a smile and thanked her for her help.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes kids can show us how we take life too seriously with a small gesture like that. It can be beautiful if viewed correctly. I stumbled upon this other post the other day that seems to draw some parallels to yours: http://www.steve-olson.com/why-does-life-exist/

Have a good one!

Anonymous said...

Go Maya. Let's hear it for feisty girls!