Sunday, November 30, 2008

A giant family

Stockings for the grandkids. 

Guillermo and Maya and their cousins

We spent the weekend in Atlanta, where we celebrated Thanksgiving with Will's family. Nearly all of his aunts and uncles and cousins on his father's side of the family live there, plus as an added bonus, Will's father was visiting from Phoenix. 

Thanksgiving itself was fun, and crazy. Will counted more than 50 people in the house at one time. To add to the chaos, there were nine kids, 6 and younger running around the house, too.

Maya and Guillermo had so much fun, and their joy made this trip even more special for me. 

Will's family is very close. For a long time, most of Will's aunts and uncles lived within just a few miles of each other and, therefore, nearly all of Will's cousins grew up together, almost as brother and sister. (Will and his family never lived near them because of my father-in-law's career). Will's cousins are all about Will's age and now have kids about the same age as Guillermo and Maya. 

The family has always been incredibly welcoming of me, and I've always felt comfortable there, but whenever I think of Guillermo's and Maya's cousins, I think of my sister's children, because, after all, they are more my immediate family. 

My kids don't know the difference, though, and I love that. All they knew is that there were a ton of kids to play with and wow, did they have fun. They ran through the house as if they were a gang, plotting and planning their next attack. Maya's cheeks were flush from going up and down the stairs so many times. 

That night, I sat next to Maya before she fell asleep. 

"I love you, mama," she said before a big smile crept across her face. 
"I love my cousins."

No comments: