Monday, April 7, 2008

Guillermo and the tea party

Guillermo, at the tea party
Maya, on the phone. 

We had a wonderful weekend, minus that game. A friend from Texas visited, we went to an art show to see a friend's work, we took the kids to Chuck E. Cheese for the first time, and Guillermo went to a Royal tea party. Yes, a tea party, at a kids museum, and he had a great time. I believe the only one who felt awkward was, embarrassingly, me. 

I had wanted to sign Guillermo up for the Knights of the Rountable party that the museum was hosting, but the times didn't work out so instead I signed him up to attend the Royal Tea Party. He loves castles and guards and knights so much I didn't think anything of it, until I received an e-mail confirmation that listed some of the activities for the kids.

Among them:
 
Decorate picture frames. Hmm, I thought. OK, he'll like that. 

Eat brownies and star-shaped sandwiches. He'll really like that.

Play "kiss the frog," similar to the pin the tail on the donkey. Uh oh. This won't be good.

Play the "glass slipper" game. I'm in trouble

I called the museum in a panic on Sunday. 

"I just read the activities the kids will be playing at the tea party and it sounds like a lot of activities geared toward girls. Any chance there will be any other boys there besides my son?" I asked. 

In short, the answer was no. But the woman reassured me the museum had hosted the party before with just one boy there and he had fun. Hmmmm.

Will was no help. "Why did you sign him up for it anyway," he asked. 

My sister's response: I wouldn't have signed Tony (her 22-month-old son) up for a tea party in the first place."

Rats. I had already promised Guillermo a party. So, I took him, like I should have, but I warned him in advance that he would be the only boy there. 

"Somtimes boys go to tea parties," he told me. 

"Sometimes they do, but they won't be going to this party," I said. 

He didn't care. So, why should I, but I have to admit, I was feeling very self conscious about bringing my son to a tea party, when clearly everyone knew that this was a party for girls. And, Guillermo was dressed in his astronaut costume (which is really cool, by the way).

We arrived at the museum and I could tell immediately who some of the girls were that were going to the party versus the kids who were just playing at the museum. They were dressed up in princess gowns. Ugh. I was feeling even more embarrassed about my decision to go. 

But when the party started none of the girls said anything about Guillermo being the only boy and Guillermo had a great time. He decorated his picture frame, he pinned a kiss on the frog, and he didn't mind the "glass slipper" game, which was like hot potato, because the prize was a lollipop, and everyone won once.  The best part: He got to take home a magic wand, which he uses all the time to freeze us or turn us into dragons. 





2 comments:

Julie said...

First of all - I am glad he loved the tea party. You made me say that I wouldn't have signed Tony up in the first place..... I am glad he got a lolipop and a new magic wand! I am not sure why you worried about the glass slipper game, your son vacuumed in your high highs from the time he could stand until a year ago! :) Oh, and I am so happy Maya is a phone talker! Love you all!

jeninphx said...

knight of the round table, eh? that is right up the ally of his tia's jen area of study!!! guillermo and i will have lots to talk about!
kudos for taking him to a tea party! tea makes the world go round. and i am sure a lot of the girls were checking him out!! ;) too cute!!