Saturday, April 19, 2008

A piece of me?

Tonight, I was giving Maya a bath and Guillermo found my bathrobe hanging on the bathroom door. He pulled the belt out of it and started pretending it was a snake that was going to bite me. 

"Move your head, mom," he'd shout and I'd move my head a little bit before the snake would charge and just miss me. 
"Move your hand, mom," he'd say and I'd move my hand a little bit before the snake would charge and just miss me.  
You get the point. Over and over he did this, before deciding the game needed to progress. By progress, I mean he decided that he would wrap the "snake" around his arm and battle with it himself. 
"You want to wrangle?" he asked the snake. Wrangle means wrestle, I think. 
"You want to get fired?" he asked the snake. That means "do you want to get sprayed with fire?" because he's not allowed to say 'do you want to get shot?" Though, I agree, getting sprayed with fire isn't any better than getting shot. 
Then, I heard him say this.
"You want a piece of me?"
What? Where did he hear that? I raced through the far-too-long list of television shows we let Guillermo watch. "Dirty Jobs?" "The Deadliest Catch?" "The Simpsons?" (though he's only allowed to watch a few episodes that have been pre-approved and only with Will). I came up blank. 
I told the story to Will later and asked where he thought Guillermo learned the phrase.
"You say that!" Will insisted. "You say it all the time."
Rats. I think he's right. I do say that. Only when we're joking around, but I do say it. Rats. Caught again. Earlier today I heard Maya swearing. Unfortunately, she cursed immediately after I did.   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i laughed out loud! i love you and your kids! i can't wait till we visit.
this is certainly the highlight of my day: reading your blog!!
love you sis!

jen

MotherBunker said...

My nephew started saying that a few years ago -- he's now 7.

We have this problem all the time, "where did she learn that?" -- and then we draw the exact conclusion you did. It's us. It's always us.

And by the way, how much do I love the fact that you use the phrase "I want a piece of me" when joking around? SO much... Very funny post.