Thursday, April 24, 2008

Mother's Helper

Messy Maya, eating spaghetti.
Guillermo, painting

Twice this week my friend's daughter has come over to be a mother's helper for an hour in the afternoon. It has been wonderful. She plays with Maya and Guillermo while I do other stuff. 

On Tuesday I was able to get a blog post finished and then get dinner ready. Today, I mowed most of the yard and started dinner. The kids love her. Guillermo asked if she could come over every day. It is such a nice break at the end of the day, though today was pretty easy.

After we dropped Guillermo off at school, Maya and I headed to Target only to find a long line of people outside of a local balloon store. So, we joined them. Why not? Actually, people were lined up to get free tickets for a Barack Obama rally in a few weeks that will feature the bands Arcade Fire and Superchunck. So far, Obama isn't expected to be there. I'm not sure we'll even go but I wanted to have tickets just in case. Might be fun to take Guillermo and Maya. It's an outside show on a Friday afternoon (the day before the much anticipated Justin Roberts show!!)  Ok, so until this very moment, I'd never heard an Arcade Fire song and at this very moment as I listen, I'm not too excited to see the band in concert, but it's the experience right? And, it's free!

Anyway, the line to get the tickets was long and we were standing on a sidewalk on a busy street and Maya was great but restless so I did everything I could to keep her entertained. We jumped up and down, made animal noises, dropped rocks in a drain. I picked her up, swung her around, tickled her, put her on my shoulders, swung her around some more and pointed out every dog that walked by. Finally, we made it to the front of the line, about 45 mintues later. Too late to go to Target to clean BPA-free sippy cups. FYI,  Nature Moms blog has a nice list of recommended BPA-free sippy cups here.

Early this week, Guillermo asked me to make meatballs after I told him we were going to have spaghetti for dinner the following night. "I loooove meatballs," he said. 
He ate them right up and then asked me to pack them in his lunch when he gets older.
"I loooove meatballs," he said again. 
It made me giggle.



No comments: