Thursday, April 10, 2008

No, not that song

A few weeks ago, Maya's "Best of Elmo" CD disappeared from the car. I asked Guillermo if he knew where it went.
"I saw it in the car and I gave it to papa. That's the truth," he said. The truth part at the end threw me for a minute so I asked him again if he knew what happened and he repeated the same answer. I believe him. 

So, I asked Will if he knew and he gave me a blank look and then said he didn't know where it was. Will hates kids music, and he doesn't drive around with the kids all day listening to them argue over what song gets played next on the radio (Guillermo calls for his space CD, Maya asks for Elmo, over and over and over again) so I suspect Will threw it in the garbage. He won't fess up. 

Poor Maya. 
From the backseat of the car, she'd say "Elmo." "Elmo, hear." 
"I'm sorry Maya, Elmo is not in the car," I'd say. 
"Space," she'd answer, not really because she understood that Elmo was gone, but because, well, the typical conversation goes like this:  
Guillermo: "Can we listen to space music?" 
Maya: "Elmo. "'
Guillermo: "No, space." 
Maya: "Elmo."

After listening to her ask for Elmo over and over, I caved and bought a new Elmo CD. I couldn't find her "Best Of Elmo," but found "Sesame Street, Platinum, All-Time Favorites."

I debated for about five minutes between that one and "Elmopalooza" but thought she'd love the songs "The People in Your Neighborhood" and "Rubber Duckie" on the platinum album. Who doesn't?

Maya, that's who. 
I put the CD in as soon as we got in the car and the "Sesame Street" theme song came on.
"No." Maya said. 
I flipped right away to the Elmo song she knows on the CD and she was fine. 

But lately, she's decided she hates most of that CD and she believes that a simple "No" won't get her point across. 

Today, I turned on "Doin' the Pigeon."
"NoOh," she shouted. 
The next song, "I Don't want to live on the Moon" elicted a longer "Nooo."
She calmed down when "The Monster in the Mirror" came on because she likes the "Wubba wubba wubba wubba woo woo woo" part, but shouted another NO when "Sing" came on next. 
By then, she was mad and even "Happy Tappin with Elmo" wasn't going to stop the tears.
"Noooo," she shouted and started to kick and flail in her seat. 
"Fuzzy and Blue" just seemed to make matters worse so I finally took the CD out and turned on NPR. 

She cried and cried until I distracted her with something and then we were at Guillermo's school and she forgot about the music. 

My mother was visiting when Maya's "Best of Elmo" CD went missing. Today, a package arrived in the mail. You guessed it: "Sesame Street Platinum All-Time Favorites."

4 comments:

Julie said...

I am not clear - Will or Guillermo? Who pitched the Elmo CD? Apparently, your kids need IPODs. I know it seems extravagant, since Guillermo is 4 and maya, not quite 2.... However, they can each listen to their own music, Will doesn't have to listen to kids music and you can listen to NPR! Everyone is happy!

Anonymous said...

Maya,
I'm trying to find the Cd "Best of Elmo" for you because you are my girl!!!!
Love,
YaYa

MotherBunker said...

That's very funny. We have a Sesame Street Alphabet CD that Maya is welcome to have -- it drives me nuts.

Anonymous said...

I've finally gotten my kids to like my music (well, Emma anyway) the two of us sing our lungs out to Madonna, Sheryl Crow, Gwen Stefani...it's so cute to see her sing pop songs!

We once had a Thomas the Tank Engine tape that we played in the car so much that the tape wore out and it began screeching but we still had to listen to it. OMG, I thought I would pull my hair out in the car! Lucky for me the tape finally bit the dust.